Born and raised in Portland, Oregon, John appreciates and relates to the pioneer spirit of overcoming challenges and hardships. In the late 1950's, John's parents emigrated from Japan to Portland. As a result, he personally knows the confusion and struggles immigrants often face when confronting an unfamiliar legal system. That's why John makes it a priority to walk clients through the legal process and explain issues in clear, easy-to-understand terms. “Laws keep our society together, so it’s crucial that everyone understand them,” he notes.
John has been practicing law for over 20 years. Prior to establishing Kodachi Law, John worked for the large and midsize law firms of Bullivant Houser Bailey, P.C. and Kell, Alterman & Runstein, LLP in Portland. He also worked for the law firm of Kobayashi, Sugita & Goda in Honolulu, Hawaii, right after graduating from Lewis & Clark Law School. "The climates are obviously different, but the legal communities in Portland and Hawaii are similar in that your legal reputation is everything," he observes. As a result, John stresses the importance of upholding the highest standards of professionalism in the time-honored profession.
When John is not practicing law, he strengthens his bonds to the local community by serving as a volunteer board member for several nonprofit organizations. Outside of work and volunteering, John enjoys watching local sports and movies with his daughter.
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court for the District of Hawaii
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- B.A., Oberlin College, 1988
- J.D., Lewis & Clark School of Law, 1992
- American Immigration Lawyers Association (Member, 2000-present)
- King County Bar Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Japan America Society of Oregon (Chair, 2017-present; Vice Chair, 2009-2017; Corporate Secretary, 2005-2009; Volunteer of the Year for 2013)
- Portland Japanese Garden (Board member, 2013-present)
- Lewis & Clark Law School Alumni Association (President, 2006-2008, Board member 2004-2011)
- Japanese American Citizens League, Portland Chapter (President, 2006-2008; Board member, 2002-2015)
- Oberlin College Alumni Association (Regional Coordinator, 2002-present)
- Volunteer girls' basketball coach 2012-15
- Past facilitator for the Asian American Youth Leadership Conference